University of Pennsylvania Bicentennial Wedgwood Plate Medical Laboratory Entrance
- Gift wrapping:
- Options available
- $8.50 (Fixed Shipping Cost)
University of Pennsylvania Wedgwood Plate produced in 1940 to celebrate Penn's Bicentennial. The plate is titled "Medical Labratory Entrance" and was drawn by Henry Sternfeld (Penn '11). The plate measures 10 3/8 inches in diameter and has the Wedgwood, Etruria, England stamp on the rear. In very good condition with no chips, cracks or crazing.
The Medical Laboratory, completed in 1904, was designed by Cope and Stewardson, with an addition by Stewardson and Page. The building was commissioned because the Medical School needed more laboratory instruction for its students and more research facilities for its faculty. In 1987 the building was renamed in honor of John Morgan, a co-founder of Penn’s Medical School, the first medical school in the American colonies.